In 2020, it is not strange to spot women leaders at the top of construction companies countrywide but when Hannah Nyambura, popularly known as 'Cucu' meaning grandmother joined the industry, no woman had registered her own company in Nyandarua County.
Speaking to The Standard on Saturday, August 8, Nyambura explained that she was forced to drop out of class 2 after repeating it several times.
She narrated that she ventured into farming but was more interested in construction sector since bosses in the industry appeared moneyed.
“I did not go far in education as I dropped in Class Two after people started calling me Cucu for repeating.Hannah Nyambura, second right, supervising a road project in Ol Kalou on July 25, 2020.The Standard
“I then started farming in Kinangop but in the meantime I used to admire road construction works because those doing it looked moneyed,” she stated.
She noticed that in order to be a leader in the sector, she would have to approach industry players to learn the trade.
She became the first woman in the county to own a registered company and notes that due to that stride, she would easily get tenders.
Her company is called Nepy Limited.
“By the time counties were created, I had already registered my company – Nepy Limited. Since I was the only woman with a registered company in Nyandarua, it was easier to win tenders,” she added.
She worked closer with former Governor Daniel Waithaka and she is now doing the same with the current county boss Francis Kimemia.
Since devolution took place, the county's road infrastructure has experienced marginal improvement with tarmac roads and cabro parking slots now a common feature.
She, however, noted that construction in the county is a challenging business as work is always interrupted by heavy rains.An excavator digs out earth from a construction site that caved-in.
- The Truth28 September 2020 - 8:55 am
- Mystery28 September 2020 - 7:53 am
- Be Warned28 September 2020 - 7:12 am
- friends turned foes27 September 2020 - 8:15 pm
- Ng'eno Again27 September 2020 - 7:50 pm
- Covid who?27 September 2020 - 6:55 pm
- road carnage27 September 2020 - 6:36 pm
- Stance27 September 2020 - 5:20 pm
- out and about27 September 2020 - 5:07 pm
- Surge27 September 2020 - 3:59 pm
- Milestones27 September 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Expert Advice27 September 2020 - 2:43 pm