More than 50 suspected Al Shabaab members were seen entering Kenya and roaming about.
Mandera County Commissioner Onesmus Kyatha raised concerns during a security meeting on Thursday, August 13, 2020.
"As we speak, I have received intelligence that about 50 members of the terror group have entered Kenya and have ordered residents of Yedho area to vacate for them to take over," he explained.Mandera County Commissioner Onesmus Kyatha speaking during a past holiday celebrationFile
He added that the terrorist group was taking advantage of internal wrangles and infighitng between residents to operate in the area.
He urged leaders, especially the MPs who were present at the meeting to solve their differences since non-cooperation was hurting security efforts.
“Al-Shabaab have seen an opening in this and are ready to take advantage of the same to cause mayhem in Mandera.
"We need to decide now and join hands in fighting the enemy from outside than causing bloodshed among ourselves,” the county commissioner advised.
The terrorist group has been utilizing the security gap in Northern Kenya to execute attacks.
The gunmen have been targeting communication masts before attacking police posts and members of the local communities in the area.
On June 14, two Al Shabaab terrorists were killed in Mandera, during an attack at Warankalla area where they targeted a communication mast.
During the attack, police officers from a nearby camp responded and killed two of the members, with several thought to have escaped with serious injuries. A police reservist was killed during the gunfire.
The attack raised concerns of a resurgence of the Somalia-based terror group that staged numerous attacks in the region since the beginning of the year, killing several police officers and civilians.
- bravo!23 September 2020 - 7:59 pm
- turf wars23 September 2020 - 7:56 pm
- Baba Speaks23 September 2020 - 7:16 pm
- be warned23 September 2020 - 7:01 pm
- changes23 September 2020 - 6:44 pm
- road carnage23 September 2020 - 6:37 pm
- please23 September 2020 - 5:43 pm
- Pay Up23 September 2020 - 4:31 pm
- man of many firsts23 September 2020 - 4:57 pm
- disaster averted23 September 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Ruto's Reaction23 September 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Another one23 September 2020 - 3:28 pm