Nairobi Governor Mike Mbuvi Sonko, Mama Ida Odinga, Christina Pratt Kenyatta and State House Comptroller Kinuthia Mbugua, on Saturday, August 15, attended the wedding of Jaskirat Kaur and Jagbir Singh Main, the son of Malkit Singh.
The wedding was held at Ramgarhia Sikh temple in Pangani in line with government directives to combat the spread of Covid-19.
In videos shared by governor Sonko, the delegates followed the Indian tradition with Mama Ida dressed in a blue sari and Christina in a maroon one. Both were barefoot as was everyone in the temple.Mama Ida Odinga speaking during an event in November 2019.Mama Ida Odinga Trust
Sonko, on his part, was dressed in black jeans, a maroon blazer and a maroon head scarf.
While delivering his speech, the governor wished the couple a successful marriage as well as gifted them with a wad of cash.
"The wedding of your children is a joyous occassion for the family and friends and for some of us, it gives us a chance to enjoy a kalasinga wedding.
"To the bride, respect and honour your husband. Your husband will succeed if you affirm him. To the groom, my advise is to love your wife and because we know kalasingas are a community of warriors, you should be a warrior to protect your family. I wish you both a joyful union," Sonko stated.
He excused himself from the function, indicating that he would be attending two burial ceremonies.
A traditional Indian wedding lasts an average of three days. On the first day, the priest performs the ganesh pooja. This is a ceremony that happens with only the couple, the bridal party and close relatives in attendance.
On the second day, the mehndi ceremony is held, an event that involves an introduction of the couple's families, mingling, a meal and dances or other performances.
On the third day, the main ceremony takes place. Here, a cocktail hour and reception take place.
- bravo!23 September 2020 - 7:59 pm
- turf wars23 September 2020 - 7:56 pm
- Baba Speaks23 September 2020 - 7:16 pm
- be warned23 September 2020 - 7:01 pm
- changes23 September 2020 - 6:44 pm
- road carnage23 September 2020 - 6:37 pm
- please23 September 2020 - 5:43 pm
- Pay Up23 September 2020 - 4:31 pm
- man of many firsts23 September 2020 - 4:57 pm
- disaster averted23 September 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Ruto's Reaction23 September 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Another one23 September 2020 - 3:28 pm