A retired headteacher has warmed hearts after giving away his Ksh6 million Nyeri mansion to be used to as a care home for the elderly.
Nduhiu Njama, 94, stated that it pained him to see his peers suffer as their children left the village to chase greener pastures in the city.
He added that the elderly people struggle as they survive through pensions and at times cannot afford food and other basic necessities.
The elderly man donated his house and affirmed that once the care home plan is cleared by the county, he would vacate and relocate to Nairobi to stay with his children.94-year-old Nduhiu Njama poses for a photo in front of his mansionDaily Nation
Nduhiu, who hails from Tetu Constituency, build the house in 1992 and stayed with his wife and six children.
He detailed that his partner passed away and he wanted to be around his family in his sunset years.
"My wife passed away in 2003 before we fulfilled our dream of giving back to the society. We always wanted to do something for others but we had not yet settled on any gesture.
"But since she is now gone, I have no one to share the property with at my retirement home," he stated in an interview with a local daily.
His children added that they were not surprised by his gesture as he was a humble, generous man full of love for humanity.
Nduhiu registered a charity foundation known as Gladys and Njama Foundation to help locals facing harship. The foundation will be in charge of the care home.
The foundation details that it rescues vulnerable girls and also funds their education.File image of business activities underway in Nyeri CountyFile
- Reopening Challenges20 October 2020 - 8:21 pm
- Harsh measures20 October 2020 - 8:03 pm
- Elegant20 October 2020 - 7:32 pm
- Huduma Debate20 October 2020 - 7:09 pm
- The Chosen20 October 2020 - 6:59 pm
- Tragedy20 October 2020 - 5:57 pm
- latest20 October 2020 - 4:50 pm
- Explained20 October 2020 - 4:48 pm
- Commendable20 October 2020 - 4:37 pm
- Stunning20 October 2020 - 4:07 pm
- Confessions20 October 2020 - 2:48 pm
- Pay Day20 October 2020 - 2:14 pm