Samburu Senator Steve Lelegwe was attacked by gunmen who fired at his vehicle on his way from attending a meeting in Samburu North.
Speaking to the media after the attack on Saturday evening, October 10, Lelegwe stated that he was travelling to Mararal when the gunmen ambushed his entourage along the highway.
The senator and his associates escaped with their lives after the gunmen shot at them four times at about 7.30 pm.Samburu Senator Steve Lelengwe addressing delegates at a past function.
"I was on my way to Maralal when we were attacked. It was a lucky escape and nobody was injured during the incident," he told reporters.
The Senator reported the incident at Maralal Police Station.
Samburu Central Sub-County Police Commander Alex Rotich said the gang could have consisted of highway bandits who are notorious in the area.
As investigations were launched, he believed that the gunmen did not target the legislator.
“We are still investigating but preliminary findings indicate that they are highway robbers who had no sinister motive against Senator Lelegwe," Rotich explained.
Security forces are patrolling the area to look for traces left by the attackers.
The region is notorious for bandit attacks which left a 10-year-old boy who was grazing animals dead in July. The assailants opened fire on a group of herders and drove away about 250 animals.
In April, a 14-year-old girl was shot dead at Bendera in Baragoi, Samburu North Sub-county.
The victim, a Class Eight pupil, was shot while fetching firewood with her mother and died on the spot. Her mother escaped unhurt.Samburu Senator Steve Lelegwe at the CAS strategy plan launch on January 16, 2020
- watch out29 October 2020 - 8:06 pm
- exciting29 October 2020 - 7:49 pm
- insider info29 October 2020 - 7:41 pm
- Dreamer29 October 2020 - 7:33 pm
- Explained29 October 2020 - 7:17 pm
- take caution29 October 2020 - 7:21 pm
- way forward29 October 2020 - 6:05 pm
- Busted29 October 2020 - 7:19 pm
- Drama29 October 2020 - 5:48 pm
- urgent29 October 2020 - 4:37 pm
- Surge29 October 2020 - 4:52 pm
- network29 October 2020 - 4:50 pm