- Simon KiraguKenyans.co.ke
Two former Kamiti Prison convicts were on Sunday night, October 11, gunned down after a fire exchange with officers from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI)
In a statement, the agency noted that the suspects had been captured on CCTV footage numerous times engaging in active violent robberies.
The DCI detectives acted after a public outcry mainly from mobile money business operators over repeated robberies in the area.
"Two robbery with violence suspects who have been captured on CCTV footage numerous times in active violent robberies within Meru County were last night gunned down in a shootout with DCI detectives.A Patchet submachine gun recovered from ex-Kamiti convicts on Sunday, October 11, 2020.File
"Manhunt for the criminals was launched by a select team of DCI and Meru-based detectives following a public outcry mainly from mobile money operators, with the team maintaining a sharp lookout for the suspects," read the statement in part.
The suspects were said to operate using motorbikes with concealed registration numbers.
"A confrontation ensued after the team spotted a suspicious motorcycle with concealed number plates at Makutano area in Meru, where on challenging the rider to stop the two pillion passengers alighted and opened fire disobeying orders to surrender.
"The detectives fired back in retaliation, where the two suspected ex-Kamiti Maximum Prison convicts were fatally injured with the rider escaping but is being pursued," added the statement.
A Patchet submachine gun they were using to conduct the robberies was also recovered.
DCI accompanied the statement with a video that captured the two robbers in what looked like a mobile money shop heist.
In the clip, one of the suspects are seen roughing up one of the shop attendants while flashing a gun.
It is not yet clear whether anyone was injured during the robberies.
- notice16 January 2021 - 2:26 pm
- Justice corridors16 January 2021 - 1:46 pm
- rogue riders16 January 2021 - 1:11 pm
- Afro Cinema!16 January 2021 - 12:17 pm
- details16 January 2021 - 12:29 pm
- crossing the line?16 January 2021 - 12:47 pm
- talented16 January 2021 - 11:50 am
- stranded16 January 2021 - 11:40 am
- new year new job16 January 2021 - 11:21 am
- Tough Year16 January 2021 - 11:05 am
- protests16 January 2021 - 10:18 am
- bowing out16 January 2021 - 10:08 am