- Daily Nation
Isiolo Deputy Speaker David Lemantile has defended his county government after protests that emerged following the death of a nurse allegedly denied admission.
Speaking to the press on Tuesday, October 27, the speaker explained that the county was forced to create two separate ICU sections, one to cater to Covid-19 patients and the other to serve regular patients.
He, however, noted that proper procedure must be taken before an individual is admitted to either ward.
"Right now, we cannot dictate who has Covid-19 virus and rush them to the wards. I think reagents to test for Covid-19 have reduced countrywide.Isiolo Deputy Speaker David Lemantile.
"The ICU was only for Covid-19 patients. You cannot take a regular patient to a Covid-19 ward, it will be endangering their lives. In Isiolo, we do not have a place to test for Covid-19, the tests have to be done in Nairobi," he stated.
The nurse, Pauline Nuhu, passed away on Tuesday, October 20, while being transferred to Nairobi for intensive care.
Isiolo Referral Hospital, where the nurse worked, reportedly failed to admit her after she developed breathing problems.
More than 100 health workers stormed the referral hospital’s ICU section after Nuhu's death to check if it was operational.
Education Chief Administrative Secretary Mumina Bonaya eulogised her during the burial ceremony on Monday, October 26, as a heroine.
“County and national governments must up their game and ensure frontline health workers have a regular supply of quality personal protective gear,” urged Isiolo Private Hospitals Association Chairman Michael Lowasa.
This comes as the country records high numbers of medical personnel contracting the deadly virus.
On Tuesday, Kakamega County Referral Hospital announced that 15 of its workers had tested positive for the virus.
- Cost Cutting24 November 2020 - 5:12 pm
- Surge24 November 2020 - 3:45 pm
- admission24 November 2020 - 3:49 pm
- Ruto Response24 November 2020 - 2:54 pm
- On the Spot24 November 2020 - 3:15 pm
- act of kindness24 November 2020 - 3:01 pm
- panic24 November 2020 - 2:39 pm
- clarification24 November 2020 - 2:32 pm
- Conquerors24 November 2020 - 2:29 pm
- Higher Level24 November 2020 - 2:05 pm
- secret admirer24 November 2020 - 2:10 pm
- bounce back24 November 2020 - 1:33 pm