Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe waited with bated breath as Citizen TV’s Jeff Koinange tested the Covid-19 emergency hotline during an interview on Wednesday night, November 18.
A viewer who was following the show raised doubts on whether the 719 toll-free number given by the government was still operational.
Koinange asked his studio team to test the number to determine its status.Health CS Mutahi Kagwe speaking during the Jeff Koinange Live show in November 18, 2020.YouTube
While the call was answered, it seemed stuck in a voice prompt loop until it was terminated.
“The reason why we come here Jeff is to know something like that. Sometimes we are not aware something is not happening but as far as I know, a lot of people have had help from the number.
“Perhaps because of the hour or something... I know that it works,” the CS tried to explain despite the hotline being supposed to work 24/7.
Many Kenyans have called the number for Covid-19 emergencies as well as other problems which surprised the call centre staff.
A survey conducted by the National Emergency Response Committee on Coronavirus between July 20 and August 5 revealed that Kenyans called to report a myriad of problems other than Covid-19 symptoms.
People called to complain about job losses, relationships, unplanned pregnancies, self-esteem issues, Illuminati, abortion, court cases and housing.
Most of those who sought help through the Covid-19 toll-free number are between 20 and 30 years, followed by the 41 to 50 years age group.
The survey indicated that Nairobi residents were the most regular callers, followed by Nakuru, Mombasa, Kisumu, Meru, Laikipia, Bungoma, Busia, Embu and Taita Taveta.
- New Tricks26 November 2020 - 8:08 pm
- Take Notice26 November 2020 - 7:53 pm
- Beware26 November 2020 - 7:31 pm
- can't keep up26 November 2020 - 7:28 pm
- lights up internet26 November 2020 - 7:16 pm
- development26 November 2020 - 6:31 pm
- Last Option26 November 2020 - 7:43 pm
- Last Laugh26 November 2020 - 7:03 pm
- shaking bridges26 November 2020 - 5:19 pm
- Poisoned26 November 2020 - 4:54 pm
- in progress26 November 2020 - 4:58 pm
- u-turn26 November 2020 - 4:32 pm