UPDATE: Kenya has lost a second doctor to Covid-19 after Dr Nira Patel succumbed to complications on Saturday, November 21.
The doctor died in Nairobi after testing positive two days ago.
The Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Council has announced the death of Kenyatta National Hospital Renal Unit Boss Dr. Anthony Jude Were Omollo.
According to a statement, KMPDC CEO Daniel M. Yumbya stated that the 64-year-old doctor died on Saturday, November 21.
“The KMPDC Chair, CEO, Council Members and staff would like to pass their deepest condolences to the family,” the statement read.Kenyatta National Hospital Renal Unit Boss Dr. Anthony Jude OmolloFile
The medical practitioners union disclosed that the medic succumbed while undergoing treatment for Covid-19.
“We have lost such a great soul who has saved many lives and has died honorably in practice. May your Soul Rest in Peace Daktari,” a colleague, Bredan Odhiambo mourned.
Dr. Wewe has served as a senior lecturer at the University of Nairobi, consultant physician and nephrologist.
The medic was the president of the African Association of Nephrology and deputy director of the East African Kidney Institute.
As of Wednesday, November 18, 2,369 health care workers had tested positive for the virus since March 2020.
Since the pandemic hit the country more than 30 medics have succumbed to Covid-19.
Doctors and healthcare workers have decried neglection by the government.
The Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentists Union (KMPDU) has since requested an audience with President Uhuru Kenyatta to deliberate on the way forward regarding the welfare of frontline healthcare workers.
- New Tricks26 November 2020 - 8:08 pm
- Take Notice26 November 2020 - 7:53 pm
- Beware26 November 2020 - 7:31 pm
- can't keep up26 November 2020 - 7:28 pm
- lights up internet26 November 2020 - 7:16 pm
- development26 November 2020 - 6:31 pm
- Last Option26 November 2020 - 7:43 pm
- Last Laugh26 November 2020 - 7:03 pm
- shaking bridges26 November 2020 - 5:19 pm
- Poisoned26 November 2020 - 4:54 pm
- in progress26 November 2020 - 4:58 pm
- u-turn26 November 2020 - 4:32 pm