Nakuru residents have disputed the government's warning that fish from Lake Nakuru are unsafe for human consumption.
Speaking to KTN News, the residents cited that they have been consuming the said fish for over a year and had not experienced any side effects.
Recently, research by Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute (KEMFRI) showed that the fish contained dangerous chemicals that could cause harm to the human body.A file image of Lake NakuruFile
This prompted the Ministry of Agriculture to issue a warning and ask Nakuru County Government to ban fishing in the lake.
The residents, however, dismissed the claims that fish decayed a few hours after retrieval from the waters.
A section of them pointed out that the fish would be transported from the traders to the suppliers and then to other markets in the county before decaying.
Furthermore, they attributed the art of fishing as their silver lining during the Covid-19 pandemic.
"My family has managed to stay afloat during the harsh times caused by the pandemic due to the fish business," one trader noted.
According to one of the residents, the price of tilapia and mudfish from the lake ranges from Ksh 50 to Ksh 400.
The research by KEMFRI noted that chemicals were caused by pollution of the lake. The findings were backed by Agriculture Chief Administrative Secretary Lina Chebii Kilimo.
"This is not good fish. I take this opportunity to ask the Nakuru County Government, through the Public Health Department, to check into the fishing issue," she stated.
KEMFRI drew the conclusion after testing over 1,000 fish from the lake. Reports indicated that those who consumed the fish developed rashes.A plate of fish and green vegetables.
- pressing26 February 2021 - 7:29 pm
- Change of Command26 February 2021 - 7:57 pm
- Boosted26 February 2021 - 7:31 pm
- unfortunate26 February 2021 - 7:48 pm
- justice26 February 2021 - 6:23 pm
- Upgrade26 February 2021 - 7:40 pm
- Caution26 February 2021 - 6:22 pm
- warning26 February 2021 - 5:43 pm
- let peace prevail26 February 2021 - 4:52 pm
- Happy26 February 2021 - 4:37 pm
- revealed26 February 2021 - 3:54 pm
- Update26 February 2021 - 5:10 pm