The Director of Public Prosecution has granted orders for the prosecution of three police officers in connection with the death of a woman on April 30, 2020.
The three officers identified as Constable Nelson Kemboi, Constable Kennedy Bii and Constable Eric Magoma are se to face manslaughter charge - as proposed by the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) after review of the case.
Gladys Jebet Kiptoo, alleged to be a chang'aa brewer, reportedly drowned as she was fleeing arrest - with the three officer pursuing her. The woman is said to have jumped into the river to avoid arrest.Police Vehicle
The officers are said to have pursued Jebet up to the banks of River Moiben, at which point she jumped into the river and drowned.
According to her father Simeon Chesire, his daughter was fetching firewood near their home when suddenly the three officers started pursuing her.
Chesire denied claims that her daughter dealt in illicit brew.
It is reported that the three officers were out of their area of jurisdiction as the area is under a different police administration.
“To date, it remains unclear under whose command the three officers crossed over from Uasin Gishu County to Elgeyo Marakwet County, to conduct an illicit alcohol operation without informing their counterparts,” said a source close to DCI.
Under Section 213 of the Penal Code, a person is deemed to have caused the death of another person if by actual or threatened violence he causes the person to perform an act and which causes the death of such a person.
DPP Noordin Haji recommended the three uniformed men to be charged with manslaughter after he was presented the file for perusal and advice.DPP Noordin HajiFile
- unfortunate21 April 2021 - 10:07 am
- confusion21 April 2021 - 9:38 am
- New Projects21 April 2021 - 9:30 am
- Corridors of Power21 April 2021 - 9:24 am
- Under Siege21 April 2021 - 7:58 am
- Another One21 April 2021 - 7:16 am
- eyes on prize20 April 2021 - 8:04 pm
- jets out20 April 2021 - 7:48 pm
- new pairs of hands20 April 2021 - 6:50 pm
- Alliances20 April 2021 - 6:29 pm
- dissolve20 April 2021 - 5:22 pm
- On the Edge20 April 2021 - 4:48 pm