As the Building Bridges Constitutional Amendment Bill got to the required number of county assembly approvals, the process was not without drama and challenges.
Nyandarua MCAs were forced to debate and pass the bill in darkness after the county assembly premises suffered a power outage.
In a strange twist the microphones were still working despite the loss of electricity. One of the MCAs explained that the mics were using an auxiliary power source.
Elsewhere in Garissa County Assembly journalists were locked out of the chambers with the sergeant at arms guarding the door.
In the presence of Governor Ali Korane, the MCAs voted to pass the bill unanimously.
Murang’a County proceedings were highly anticipated after Senator Irungu Kang’ata wrote a damning letter to President Uhuru Kenyatta stating that the bill would fail spectacularly.
Shortly after Murang’a County MCAs passed the bill, they broke into dance riding on the viral Firirida challenge.
The Firirida song was produced by Kikuyu vernacular musician Dick Munyonyi 36 years ago but was recently turned into a social media trend.
Two weeks ago, the video had garnered a paltry 1,000 views since it was uploaded in 2013 but by February 23, the song had slightly less than 500,000 views.
The Kiambu MCAs were joined by prominent businessmen allied to President Uhuru Kenyatta and residents, as they also took on the Firirida dance.
In Nyeri, popular vernacular musician John Njagi took to the streets to celebrate the sailing of the BBI bill in the county assembly.
He performed some of his hit songs alongside the Nyeri Town MP Ngunjiri Wambugu, Nyeri Governor Mutahi Kahiga and Kieni MP Kanini Kega.
- New Frontier27 February 2021 - 6:30 pm
- Spike27 February 2021 - 5:29 pm
- unfortunate27 February 2021 - 5:06 pm
- Chairperson27 February 2021 - 4:06 pm
- Take Note27 February 2021 - 3:23 pm
- Withdrawal27 February 2021 - 3:00 pm
- Drainage27 February 2021 - 3:13 pm
- Easy as Pie27 February 2021 - 2:07 pm
- dangerous27 February 2021 - 1:54 pm
- Captured27 February 2021 - 1:40 pm
- Tragic27 February 2021 - 1:27 pm
- Heartmelting27 February 2021 - 1:05 pm