Shooting a gun in Kenya is associated with trained security officers such as the Kenya Police, the military, and even police reservists. Private citizens in Kenya who are licensed gun holders can also carry a gun with them.
However, for Kenyans seeking thrilling outdoor activities other than the usual road trip or a safari, visiting a shooting range could be a creative addition to their bucket list. There are places in Kenya where a private citizen can head out to practice guns safely and under instruction.
Such places include the Kenya Rifles Regiment Club(KRRC) in Langata and the National Gun Owners Association shooting range located in Kirigiti, Kiambu county.
The KRRC was established in 1952 and has been a pioneer of developing shooting as a sport in Kenya, it is located at the Sailing Club in Langata.A man aims at a target at a shooting range.File
The location is easily accessible via matatu (tell the tout that you alight on Langata Road at "Carnivore junction" opposite the petrol station) and city bus. It is then a five minutes foot walk. The access road to the club has recently been tarmacked and now is very smooth and convenient.
To access this facility, you will be required to carry your national identification cards. The minimum age to participate in the shooting is14 years old. You will also be required to pay an entrance fee of Ksh 2000 and another Ksh 2500 for 50 rounds of ammunition.
Kenyans with privately owned and licensed guns can carry them to this club and they can also buy ammunition there according to the gun type. This facility opens from 10 am to 4 pm on weekdays and weekends.
The National Gun Owners Association, NGAO-Kenya, is a registered independent, non-profit, and non-political association of law-abiding licensed firearm holders within the Republic of Kenya.
The primary requirement of accessing these events at NGAO is being a registered gun owner and you should also carry your own gun to this facility.
NGAO provides professional training for licensed firearm holders in the proper use, handling, and safe storage of firearms, and they have a desire to promote shooting as a sport in the Olympics, Commonwealth games and other sporting events.
In the past two years, they have partnered with Kenya Prisons Staff Training College Range Ruiru to organize competitions that bring together civilian firearm holders and members of the disciplined forces – Kenya Defense Forces, Kenya Prisons & Kenya Police.
The Kirigiti based shooting range is located at Gitata Farm, in Kiambu county. You can take the bus number 100 from Odeon in the CBD and alight at kirigiti stadium then You proceed to the Gitata farm where the shooting happens. The charges for the training are Ksh 10, 000 and you are sure to be trained proficiently by the gun masters.
Process of Owning a Firearm in Kenya
Anyone looking to own a gun is mandated to go through a laid out process in the Firearms Act.
The first step is to report to the nearest police station to your area of residence and submit a formal request to own a gun to the Officer Commanding Station (OCS).
You will then be provided with a form to fill. The form will indicate the various documents that are mandatory for any gun owner.
This documents include;
- A letter detailing why an individual is looking to own a gun.
- A letter form a psychiatrist confirming that one is of sound mind.
- A police clearance certificate also known as the certificate of good conduct.
- Certified bank statement to ascertain that one has a steady source of income.
- Clearance letter from the police station closest to your residence - the letter should be stamped.
- 4 Passport photos.
- A copy of the National ID or Passport
- Incase the applicant has had any incident or run in with any sort of criminals, he/she is required to provide the OB numbers for any filed cases.
The applicant will then be directed to wait for the next interview.
The internal vetting process usually takes an estimated 3 months, depending on the workload at the licensing board. The applicant, is then called to a final interview before being directed to pay Ksh5,000 for the official certificate.A man aims at a target at a shooting range.Filecriminal ammunition gun
- Generosity19 May 2022 - 12:14 pm
- Blow19 May 2022 - 11:08 am
- Intervenes19 May 2022 - 11:50 am
- Intervention19 May 2022 - 11:04 am
- disclosed19 May 2022 - 10:44 am
- Quest19 May 2022 - 10:10 am
- Heartwarming19 May 2022 - 9:28 am
- chaos19 May 2022 - 8:33 am
- Changes19 May 2022 - 9:06 am
- hard hitting19 May 2022 - 7:50 am
- Flip-flopper19 May 2022 - 7:19 am
- My Stand18 May 2022 - 8:03 pm