- Athletics Kenya
Kenya won her first medal in the ongoing Tokyo 2020 Olympics on Monday, August 2.
Benjamin Kigen bagged the Bronze medal after clocking 8 minutes, 11 seconds, and 45 microseconds to finish third in the 3000m Steeplechase won by Moroccan, Soufiane El Bakkali.
The Moroccan beat Ethiopian Girma Lamecha in the final lap to bag the gold medal. Ethiopia won Silver.Kenya's Hellen Obiri runs at a past event.Athletics Kenya
This is the first time since 1984 that Kenya has lost the race.
Further, Hellen Obiri scooped the silver medal in the 5000m women's final behind Dutchwoman Sifan Hassan who clocked in at 14 minutes 36 seconds and 79 microseconds for the gold.
"I pray to God to give us strength so that we can emerge victoriously," Obiri stated before participating in the race.
Kenyans have been unlucky in their quest for supremacy at the global event.
Ferdinand Omanyala, the young upstart athlete, missed qualifying for the men's 100m finals on Sunday, August 1, when he clocked in at 10.00 seconds.
The athlete, despite his defeat, broke the national record and emerged third in the race, beating strong contenders such as former Jamaican champion Yohan Blake.
Further, sprinter Mark Otieno was withdrawn from the 100m Heats after testing positive for a banned substance on Saturday, July 31.
Ferguson Rotich and Emmanuel Korir however, will look to change the trajectory and seek gold in their 800m men's finals. This is after the two athletes emerged first and second place in the 800m semi-final held on Sunday, August 1.
Other events that saw the Kenyan team bundled out at the Olympics include rugby and volleyball.Ferdinand Omanyala competes in 100m heat during the second leg of Athletics Kenya (AK) RelayFile
- Storm Out20 October 2021 - 10:23 am
- unfortunate20 October 2021 - 9:33 am
- Clash20 October 2021 - 10:08 am
- Mysterious Fire20 October 2021 - 8:23 am
- Take Action20 October 2021 - 7:33 am
- Triumphant Entry19 October 2021 - 7:54 pm
- REVOKED19 October 2021 - 7:40 pm
- revealed19 October 2021 - 7:18 pm
- Ambitious19 October 2021 - 6:59 pm
- New Direction19 October 2021 - 6:08 pm
- Intervened19 October 2021 - 6:19 pm
- Shame19 October 2021 - 6:38 pm