There was a massive traffic snarl up on Thika Superhighway after a tanker ferrying fuel caught fire in the middle of the busy road.
A source who witnessed the Wednesday evening, January 19, happenings told Kenyans.co.ke that the engine of the tanker, which was ferrying the fuel towards Thika, burst into flames causing a standstill.
He noted that the incident occurred at around 8:30pm on the highway's outer lane of the main road in Githurai area, affecting the outbound traffic.
"I saw the tanker's engine was burning. The fire then spread to the front of the truck. Outbound traffic was halted for a while but when the fire reduced, traffic through the inner lane (of the main road) resumed.Massive traffic snarl up along Thika Road on Wednesday, January 19, 2022.File
"The only dangerous thing I saw was that the fuel compartment of the tanker had not caught fire yet other motorists were using the inner lane," he expressed his concern.
A video seen by Kenyans.co.ke showed firefighters at the scene and attempting to put out the inferno.
It was not immediately clear whether there were casualties as details remained scanty.
This comes barely a month after a freak accident saw a Mombasa-bound bus burn to the ground on December 28, 2021.
The bus had left Mumias for Mombasa when the unfortunate incident occurred along the Chavakali-Kapsabet Road. Luckily, no one was injured.
Below is the video:accident fire fight
- Reacts17 May 2022 - 7:54 am
- Roles17 May 2022 - 7:13 am
- Humbled16 May 2022 - 7:16 pm
- Exit16 May 2022 - 5:38 pm
- Game on16 May 2022 - 6:28 pm
- Passionate16 May 2022 - 4:27 pm
- Uncertainty16 May 2022 - 3:26 pm
- A-Team16 May 2022 - 1:45 pm
- Declaration16 May 2022 - 1:26 pm
- Trial Phase16 May 2022 - 12:23 pm
- Remarkable16 May 2022 - 12:37 pm
- Forthright16 May 2022 - 12:19 pm