Soundproofing a house is deliberate effort to put measures that will reduce noise pollution, which is against the law.
You can reduce the noise emanating from a house or make sure noise from outside does not cause disturbance inside the house.
County governments have stepped up efforts to make sure business establishments are compliant and that Kenyans are not subjected to all manner of noise especially in residential areas.
To complement existing noise pollution laws and regulations, you can soundproof your house from outside by following these simple steps:A house under construction in KenyaHPD
Add wall mass
Adding mass to an existing wall is one of easier ways to block airborne house thus blocking noise from outside.
If the house is made of a brick wall, you can add wall mass using acoustic plasterboard.
It should be noted that an extra wall mass will only block high frequency noise. If you live near a nightclub, the bass will still be able to pass through your walls.
Chimneys especially unused ones should be capped to reduce noise coming from outside.
To cap a chimney, you can block the top using a flue ventilator or a mesh that leaves space for ventilation.
Sealing up holes and cracks
Existing walls and cracks allow sound to pass through. Sealing considerably reduces noise pollution coming from the environs.
A storm window is a second window installed over an existing window.
It reduces noise reaching the room by acting as an insulator and reducing drafts.
Why soundproof from outside?
There are certain advantages of using the aforementioned ways to soundproof your house;
A storm window to reduce noiseFile
- Noise reduction from outside accords your home with privacy.
- Soundproofing a house protects its occupants from hearing damage and associated health issues.
- With less noise coming from outside, it is possible to maintain good communication inside.
- Finally, a serene environment improves quality of life and general wellbeing.
- Freedom1 February 2023 - 3:41 pm
- On the spot1 February 2023 - 2:55 pm
- Moment's Notice1 February 2023 - 2:41 pm
- Explained1 February 2023 - 3:35 pm
- DETAILS1 February 2023 - 3:53 pm
- DIY1 February 2023 - 2:53 pm
- CONGRATULATIONS1 February 2023 - 2:50 pm
- Justice1 February 2023 - 2:23 pm
- Explained1 February 2023 - 2:40 pm
- Alarming1 February 2023 - 2:13 pm
- AWESOME1 February 2023 - 2:14 pm
- Remarkable1 February 2023 - 1:54 pm