The CORD Coalition has promised to exploit all the available means to restore its referendum bid, after the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) nullified a section of OKOA Kenya signatures.
In a press conference at Serena Hotel in Nairobi on Wednesday, the Opposition leaders angrily protested the outcome, promising to seek alternatives after their failed referendum bid.
The Opposition further accused the electoral body of accepting to be used by the ruling coalition to disenfranchise Kenyans by extinguishing their constitutional rights.
“The Jubilee together with its puppet the IEBC have been colluding to disrupt our referendum bid,” stated Wetang'ula. “IEBC just exercised what Jubilee has instructed them to do.”
CORD claimed that the IEBC had initially failed to explain the process of verification to them, and that the latter did not hire any clerks to do the process as required by the constitution.
The Opposition members also defended the signatures they submitted, asserting that they had already done a pre-verification before they handed in the booklets to the IEBC.
Wetang'ula stated that the coalition was already angered by the commission after it took five months instead of the agreed 60 days to finish the verification process.
Wiper Leader Kalonzo Musyoka added that the country was going through a trying time, therefore needed to be liberated from the IEBC.
“We cannot go to the next election with the current IEBC,” declared Kalonzo.
The Opposition team has urged the rest the country to wait for an official statement from 'Okoa Kenya' on its immediate course of action.
IEBC has since defended the outcome, recounting that the commission followed the right procedure in verifying the signatures. Only 891,598 signatures were verified out of the 1.5 million submitted by the CORD coalition.
- Imagerebuke1 April 2020 - 10:30 am
- Imagebrighter days1 April 2020 - 10:21 am
- Imageexposed1 April 2020 - 9:51 am
- ImageCovid-191 April 2020 - 9:32 am
- Imageunfortunate1 April 2020 - 9:16 am
- Imageheartbreaking1 April 2020 - 8:38 am
- Imagenick of time1 April 2020 - 7:58 am
- ImageMy Take1 April 2020 - 7:33 am
- Imageintervention1 April 2020 - 7:50 am
- Imagesecond chance31 March 2020 - 8:37 pm
- Imageon the radar1 April 2020 - 7:27 am
- Imagelifeline31 March 2020 - 7:18 pm