Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho was on Wednesday forced to drive himself to the Bomas of Kenya where the Opposition was holding a grand meeting.
Addressing the press shortly after arriving at Bomas, Joho divulged that his bodyguards had not been reinstated after they were recalled on Friday last week, despite police announcing on Tuesday that his security detail had been restored.
The Governor, however, maintained that he felt safe and comfortable without his security.
“I want to put a stop to this conversation about security. I've asked Jubilee not to give me security,” Joho stated.
The Mombasa Governor also said that he would not respond to Senator Hassan Omar's claims that he walks around in the company of 38 armed guards including police officers.
"Whenever he moves, there are more than 38 armed people including police officers who move with him. He moves around with a whole police station and an armoury.
"The guns each have 15 bullets, which is about 450 bullets in Joho's convoy... that is an armoury... not for security," Omar stated while addressing a press briefing on Tuesday.
On Tuesday, Joho's lawyer Dennis Mosota stated that the government should take full responsibility if anything happens to the Governor.
In a letter copied to Coast Regional Coordinator Nelson Marwa, County Commissioner Evans Achoki and State House spokesperson Manoah Esipisu, Mr Mosota claimed the move to withdraw Joho's security was unconstitutional.
"Fundamentally, we want to bring it to your knowledge that the actions sanctioned by you and your superiors have no basis and are patently unconstitutional," Mosota said.