A Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) soldier was on Tuesday killed and five others injured after two improvised explosive devices (IEDs) exploded in Lamu near the Kenya-Somalia border.
The soldiers were on patrol near Sirira and Ishakan areas when the IEDs exploded and destroyed their armoured vehicles.
The injured officers were rushed to a nearby hospital where they are currently receiving treatment.
KDF stated that the explosives were planted on the road by suspected members of the terrorist group who were targeting the soldiers.
Meanwhile, on Tuesday night, President Uhuru Kenyatta and US President Donald Trump had a telephone conversation where the latter vowed to support Kenya’s fight against terrorism.
The US President expressed appreciation for Kenya’s significant contributions to the African Union Mission in Somalia and recognised the sacrifice KDF soldiers have been making in the fight against al-Shabaab.
- valid10 July 2020 - 1:05 pm
- Mind at Work10 July 2020 - 12:13 pm
- breaking the bank10 July 2020 - 11:58 am
- helping hand10 July 2020 - 11:37 am
- Money Bags10 July 2020 - 10:53 am
- chosen few10 July 2020 - 10:23 am
- Changes10 July 2020 - 9:51 am
- face the music10 July 2020 - 9:03 am
- Under Siege10 July 2020 - 8:41 am
- decision10 July 2020 - 8:20 am
- Alert10 July 2020 - 7:30 am
- Opulence10 July 2020 - 7:11 am