The Matatu Owners Association (MOA) has voiced support for the calls by county government for the introduction of Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) as a means of decongesting Nairobi.
Bus Rapid Transit is a high-quality, bus-based transit system that delivers fast, comfortable, and cost-effective services in metro-level capacities through the provision of dedicated lanes, with bus ways and iconic stations typically aligned to the center of the road, off-board fare collection, and fast and frequent operations.
Speaking to the press during the association's annual National Governing Council meeting in Naivasha, MOA chair Simon Kimutai said that the association is going to work with stakeholders to ensure the system is a success.
He added that the system has worked in several other countries and will come as a relief to hundreds of commuters within the city.
Nairobi Governor Dr Evans Kidero's administration has been grappling with how to decongest the city-proposing a various measures, the latest being the attempt to remove roundabouts in some section of roads.The move city failed to work forcing the County Government to shelve the project.
The BRT system is set to be put in place in the next two years.
- Politics13 July 2020 - 7:53 am
- coming up13 July 2020 - 7:39 am
- it's time12 July 2020 - 8:03 pm
- next move?12 July 2020 - 7:28 pm
- Exposed12 July 2020 - 7:18 pm
- power games12 July 2020 - 5:47 pm
- marching band12 July 2020 - 5:33 pm
- Surge12 July 2020 - 5:23 pm
- Trailblazer12 July 2020 - 4:57 pm
- changes12 July 2020 - 3:36 pm
- skilled12 July 2020 - 4:17 pm
- discord12 July 2020 - 2:57 pm