One Man Shot Dead, Another Injured In A Land Tussle
A tussle over a 3,000 acre piece of land led to the death of one man, leaving another seriously injured in Uasin Gishu county.
The Ben-moi farm in Moiben has been at the center of controversy since the 90s with two groups, the Kibigoy family and over 800 squatters both claiming ownership of the land.
The family had hoped that a court ruling naming them the rightful owners would end the conflict but it was not to be.
They had to seek help from police officers on Thursday after the squatters willingly refused to leave the farm.
The squatters got into an altercation with police officers who had come to evict them, leading to one squatter dying after getting shot and a police officer sustaining serious gun shot wounds.
Property was destroyed during the eviction that saw houses torched and demolished in the process.
NTV reports that a the squatters set on fire two vehicles belonging to the police a week ago in a similar confrontation.
- 19 January 2020 - 8:28 pm
- 19 January 2020 - 7:59 pm
- 19 January 2020 - 7:24 pm
- 19 January 2020 - 6:58 pm
- 19 January 2020 - 6:29 pm
- 19 January 2020 - 5:19 pm
- 19 January 2020 - 4:44 pm
- 19 January 2020 - 4:02 pm
- 19 January 2020 - 3:14 pm
- 19 January 2020 - 3:37 pm
- 19 January 2020 - 2:19 pm
- 19 January 2020 - 1:17 pm