Two suspected Al Shabaab militants and a Kenyan police officer were shot dead in a gun fire that ensued after Al Shabaab attacked a police camp in Garissa.
The Tuesday night attack took place on Hamey police camp where the assailants raided the camp and started shooting, killing one officer.
The police returned fire and killed two of attackers while the rest fled to Somalia.
Speaking to The Nation, Dadaab OCPD Raphael Kimilu confirmed that between 10 and 15 men attacked the camp at around 11 PM.
This is the second time an attack has been staged against the camp, after the 2013 raid which left several officers and civilians dead.
The attack also comes a month after an attack by Al Shabaab on Garissa University College which left 148 people dead.
The Standard reports that the suspects had tried to escape with the body of the slain police officer but were overwhelmed after a while and abandoned it.
The police have launched a manhunt for the attackers who managed to escape.
- home comforts8 July 2020 - 4:11 pm
- Raft of Measures8 July 2020 - 4:08 pm
- spilling beans8 July 2020 - 3:36 pm
- torment8 July 2020 - 2:25 pm
- Presidential Appeal8 July 2020 - 2:34 pm
- showdown8 July 2020 - 2:24 pm
- way out?8 July 2020 - 1:41 pm
- listen...8 July 2020 - 1:35 pm
- easy steps8 July 2020 - 1:29 pm
- Surge8 July 2020 - 1:03 pm
- He giveth and taketh8 July 2020 - 1:23 pm
- Silent8 July 2020 - 12:49 pm