2 Shot Dead at Karen During Burial Ceremony Attended by President Uhuru Kenyatta
Two suspects were shot dead during a funeral service attended by President Uhuru Kenyatta on Friday.
The two are said to have been breaking into cars during the event held at Nairobi's Karen estate when they were noticed by members of the public.
According to Karen Officer Commanding Police Division Cunningham Suiyanka, they were confronted by police officers and tried to escape after noticing they had been cornered.
They drove into a road inside the estate that led them to a dead end before they started shooting at the officers.
"The suspects then got out of their cars and started shooting at the police officers and that is when we realised that they were dangerous. Police engaged them in a gunfight and they were both fatally injured," stated Suiyanka.
He, however, affirmed that security in the funeral was tight and the suspects were not targeting the Head of State.
President Kenyatta had attended the funeral service of retired Reverend Dr. John Gatu of the Presbyterian Church of East Africa (PCEA) when the incident happened.
Gatu, who is remembered for criticising previous administrations on corruption, passed on a week ago while undergoing treatment at Nairobi hospital.
- 14 November 2019 - 8:06 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 7:41 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 7:54 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 7:49 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 9:03 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 9:16 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 5:59 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 5:44 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 3:52 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 4:06 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 3:57 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 3:13 pm