Kisumu youth on Wednesday attacked a group of 200 women and robbed them on claims that they were Jubilee supporters planning to buy National Identity Cards (IDs) from the local residents.
The youth reportedly received a tip off on Facebook which claimed that the women were locked up at the Jumuia Hotel coming up with the sinister scheme.
Acting on the Facebook post, the rowdy youth stormed the women's meeting demanding that they immediately stop what they were doing.
"I was making my presentation when the youth came in. They started interrogating us and beating us on claims that we were buying IDs
"They harassed and threatened to rape a number of us," one Pastor Alice Owuor told reporters.
Details later showed that the women had gathered at the hotel for an interdenominational prayer meeting under the umbrella of Nyanza Women of Faith.
Confirming the reports, police commandant Joseph Keitany told reporters that police were called in to disperse the youth and protect the women.
"We deployed police and they fired tear gas and bullets in the air and chased the group of young boys away. The youth started beating women and they stole their laptops and money," Mr Keitany confirmed.
The youth engaged police in running battles for the better part of the morning, blocking roads and holding protests outside the hotel and several women were injured.
On Tuesday, a section of National Super Alliance (NASA) leaders claimed that Jubilee leaders are massively buying national identity cards from Opposition supporters.
According to the parliamentarians, the prices of the IDs range from Sh1,000 to Sh5,000, a price that would tempt any registered voter to sell their ID.
The leaders further indicated that the scheme is ongoing in Kisumu, Bungoma, Busia and Kakamega counties.
Here is a video of the incident courtesy of KTN News.
- Imagethe little things4 April 2020 - 12:36 pm
- Imageuncertainty4 April 2020 - 11:32 am
- Imagea new song4 April 2020 - 11:10 am
- Imagetragic4 April 2020 - 10:44 am
- Imageracist?4 April 2020 - 9:43 am
- Imageextension4 April 2020 - 10:21 am
- ImageAchrivals4 April 2020 - 8:16 am
- Imagedisciplinary4 April 2020 - 8:30 am
- Imagenot again4 April 2020 - 8:42 am
- ImageI know you4 April 2020 - 7:44 am
- ImageListen4 April 2020 - 7:25 am
- Imagechanges3 April 2020 - 8:37 pm