Former Kakamega Senator Boni Khalwale has come up with a new formula to redefine Kenya's territory which he believes is a better option than secession.
Khalwale has proposed that The Federal Republic of Kenya be created, which will consist of 10 States made up of the existing counties which will be consolidated.
The 10 states will be; Nairobi, Western, Nyanza, Coastal, Upper Eastern, Lower Eastern, Central, North Rift, South Rift and North Eastern.
In an exclusive conversation with Kenyans.co.ke, Khalwale stated that he was opposed to secession of any kind.
[caption caption="Homa Bay Town MP Peter Kaluma"][/caption]
Khalwale stated: "Kaluma's proposal smacks of ethnic exclusion.The reasons for secession can be addressed by this federal system."
Mr Khalwale explained that in the current dispensation, a number of counties were not economically viable.
He, therefore, believes that they should be consolidated into the ten states.
According to the former Senator, each of these states will then independently appoint their leaders.
He also believes that a number of functions currently under the National Government should be moved to the states.
Khalwale had first taken to Twitter to announce his proposal.
He stated: "A huge section of Kenyans remain excluded from the commonwealth of this nation. The conversation & agitation for secession can only grow louder! Let's strengthen devolution to forestall this by consolidating counties into ten states to form a strong Federal Republic of Kenya."
[caption caption="Boni Khalwale with National Super Alliance (NASA) leader Raila Odinga"][/caption]
- listening ear14 August 2020 - 6:21 pm
- narrowly14 August 2020 - 5:01 pm
- philanthropic14 August 2020 - 5:16 pm
- Another one14 August 2020 - 3:46 pm
- new beginnings14 August 2020 - 3:24 pm
- update14 August 2020 - 3:33 pm
- heads rollling14 August 2020 - 2:49 pm
- best of the best14 August 2020 - 2:45 pm
- No Chills!14 August 2020 - 2:01 pm
- pinching pennies14 August 2020 - 1:19 pm
- roughed up14 August 2020 - 1:29 pm
- triumphant14 August 2020 - 1:02 pm