11-Seater Matatu Crashed, 12 Dead
12 people were on Sunday morning confirmed dead and two others seriously injured after being involved in a tragic accident at Salgaa along the Nakuru-Eldoret highway.
The accident involving a Great Rift Shuttle and a Mercedes-Benz Actros occurred at around 3:00 am.
Rongai police boss Japheth Kioko confirmed the incident adding that the matatu driver lost control after hitting a cow, before colliding with the truck.
"All the 11 passengers and the driver of the shuttle died on the spot," Mr Kioko was quoted by the Nation.
[caption caption="Salgaa accident scene"][/caption]
The two injured passengers have been taken to Nakuru Level Five Hospital where they are receiving treatment.
The bodies have been taken to the Nakuru County mortuary.
Salgaa area is considered a blackspot in the highway since many lives have been lost in the area.
The accident comes barely a week after 4 people lost the lives at Salama area along Mombasa Road.
The four died after a Public Service Vehicle (PSV) bus heading to Nairobi from Mombasa hit a lorry parked on the roadside at Salama area.
[caption caption="File image of the Salama accident scene"][/caption]
The accident was blamed weather but the police noted that careless driving had some role in the tragedy.
- 11 December 2018 - 3:01 pm
- 11 December 2018 - 2:42 pm
- 11 December 2018 - 2:02 pm
- 11 December 2018 - 1:52 pm
- 11 December 2018 - 1:10 pm
- 11 December 2018 - 12:45 pm
- 11 December 2018 - 11:29 am
- 11 December 2018 - 12:30 pm
- 11 December 2018 - 11:55 am
- 11 December 2018 - 11:16 am
- 11 December 2018 - 10:52 am
- 11 December 2018 - 11:12 am