University of Nairobi (UoN) students on Thursday blocked State House Road complaining of long delays in the disbursement of student loans.
They barricaded lower State House Road and burnt tyres paralysing transport in the area.
Police were forced to intervene as the situation threatened to get out of hand.
[caption caption="File Photo of Police Arresting a UoN Student"][/caption]
The students further stated that they would demonstrate every Thursday if the money will not be disbursed by Friday.
"It is unfortunate that we have to beg for our rights. If we delay in paying HELB in future we will be penalised.
"We want to tell HELB that if they delay in giving us money, we will also penalise them," stated a student leader.
Last week, the institution's Law students in Parklands protested the arrest of Embakasi East MP Paul Ongili, popularly known as Babu Owino.
The students were disgruntled about the arrest and vowed to agitate for the release of Mr Owino.
The protests were spearheaded by the chairman of the Student Organisation of Nairobi University (SONU), Jamal Birkan.
Babu was, however, released after intervention by Nairobi Senator Johnson Sakaja.
Senator Sakaja made a personal undertaking of Sh104,000 and a surety to produce the legislator in court the following day after which the police released the vocal MP.
“No political leader should be arrested unlawfully because of his political party be it NASA or Jubilee,” stated the Senator.
[caption caption="UoN Students Protesting"][/caption]
- My Turn22 October 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Exams Plea22 October 2020 - 3:07 pm
- dead end22 October 2020 - 2:45 pm
- level up22 October 2020 - 2:34 pm
- Heartwarming22 October 2020 - 2:25 pm
- in large numbers22 October 2020 - 1:57 pm
- Old is gold22 October 2020 - 1:32 pm
- U-Turn22 October 2020 - 2:09 pm
- mearge22 October 2020 - 1:13 pm
- balling22 October 2020 - 12:50 pm
- Blunder22 October 2020 - 11:26 am
- dire situation22 October 2020 - 11:51 am