WhatsApp co-founder Brian Acton on Tuesday asked Facebook users to delete the social networking application.
Through a tweet, Acton stated that it was time to do away with Facebook, considering the latest revelations on how Cambridge Analytica was misusing data.
"It is time. #deletefacebook," he wrote.
Acton left Facebook in September 2017 and recently announced a $50 Million investment in secure messaging app Signal and joined the company's foundation.
[caption caption="Brian Acton"][/caption]
Facebook has been under fire from the public and politicians in the United States and the United Kingdom over its data privacy practices.
The company is taking a financial hit too as reports indicate that it lost $50 Billion in market value this week.
Earlier this week, it also emerged that Cambridge Analytica allegedly had a hand in Kenya's 2017 election although members of Jubilee Party's top hierarchy denied the claims.
Jubilee vice-chairman David Murathe on Tuesday cleared the air on the role of Strategic Communication Laboratories (SCL), the parent company of Cambridge Analytica, in the 2017 General Election.
Murathe admitted that the party hired the company but only for branding purposes.
"They were basically branding and all that but not directly," he stated.
He, however, did not go into the details of how SCL did that and what impact it had in the 2017 polls.
According to statistics, by late last year, the number of active Facebook users in the world had surpassed the 2 billion mark.
As of 31, December 2017, the number of Facebook users in Kenya stood at 7 million.
Given its reach and uptake, Facebook has become incredibly important for brands to build their communities and also for running digital advertising campaigns.
[caption caption="Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg"][/caption]
- not on my watch18 September 2020 - 1:31 pm
- unbelievable18 September 2020 - 1:09 pm
- special request18 September 2020 - 1:16 pm
- Sad!!18 September 2020 - 12:01 pm
- tough times18 September 2020 - 11:48 am
- survivor18 September 2020 - 11:12 am
- Alert18 September 2020 - 10:21 am
- another turn18 September 2020 - 9:35 am
- facts18 September 2020 - 9:38 am
- Countered18 September 2020 - 8:52 am
- battle18 September 2020 - 8:10 am
- Changes!18 September 2020 - 7:25 am