Milimani High court has hit Kenya Bureau of Statistics Managing director Charles Ongwae with tough penalties after being charged with attempted murder and abuse of office.
Senior Principal Magistrate Kennedy Cheruiyot released the MD along with other suspects on Kshs.15 Million bond.
There were freed on Kshs.10 Million bond with sureties of Kshs.3 Million each.
The individuals were further required to deposit a cash bail of Ksh2 Million each.
[caption caption="KEBS MD Ongwae in court on Monday, June 25"][/caption]
In the ruling, the magistrate noted that even if the offences were serious they were still bailable.
Justice Cheruyiot further instructed the suspects to submit their travel details with the court.
The prosecution stated that the suspects had the intent to cause the deaths of people in Eldoret and Narok after they released 5.8 Million kilos of standardized fertilizers which contained mercury that endangers human life.
They were also charged with conspiracy to defraud, aiding the commission of a felony and breach of trust.
Their lawyer Cliff Ombetta argued that the prosecution had not provided enough evidence to have the accused persons remain in custody.
Ongwae was charged along inspection Manager Peter kinyajui, Director of Quality Assurance Eric Cheshire and coastal Regional director Martin Nyakiamo.
The MD was arrested together 9 other senior officials over the importation of sub-standardized fertilizers and the circulation of fake KEBS stamps.
[caption caption="Lawyer Cliff Ombeta"][/caption]
- Ruto Response24 November 2020 - 2:54 pm
- act of kindness24 November 2020 - 3:01 pm
- panic24 November 2020 - 2:39 pm
- clarification24 November 2020 - 2:32 pm
- Conquerors24 November 2020 - 2:29 pm
- Higher Level24 November 2020 - 2:05 pm
- secret admirer24 November 2020 - 2:10 pm
- bounce back24 November 2020 - 1:33 pm
- R.I.P24 November 2020 - 1:40 pm
- gangsters paradise24 November 2020 - 1:25 pm
- another level24 November 2020 - 12:56 pm
- Shooting24 November 2020 - 12:06 pm