Angry youth on Tuesday burnt down a county revenue collection office in Kuresoi, Nakuru County as they protested the poor state of roads in the area despite promises from Deputy President William Ruto and Area MP Moses Cheboi.
The protests which began in Kuresoi North constituency also saw residents carry placards hitting out at Cheboi and Ruto, with some advising the DP not to count on their votes in the 2022 General Election.
Cheboi, who is in his fourth term as MP, was accused of staying away from the county and being out of touch with his constituents' needs.
At Kuresoi centre, protesters lamented that there was not a single tarmac road in Kuresoi except at the border forcing them to use roads in deplorable condition which had especially been damaged during the rainy season.
During the electioneering period in 2017, Ruto had assured the residents who overwhelmingly supported Jubilee that one of the main roads from County Council to Chepsir would be tarmacked as a matter of priority.
[caption caption="A protester in Kuresoi on 17/07/2018"][/caption]
One of the protesters' banners read: "Raundi hii hata sisi tumejipanga..2022 Hamtoshi Mboga (This time we also have a plan...You don't have what it takes for 2022)."
"There is not even one tarmac road in the whole constituency except at the border with Molo. The protesters are very angry.
"They feel shortchanged by the Jubilee administration and they feel shortchanged by the area MP Cheboi who is in his 4th term," Josephat Sang, a reporter who witnessed the protests first-hand told Kenyans.co.ke.
Efforts by Kenyans.co.ke to reach Cheboi who is also the Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly were futile as our calls went unanswered.
Sang further revealed that due to the poor state of the roads, residents had been forced to use tractors to move around as regular cars would often get stuck.
[caption caption="A truck stuck on a road in Kuresoi"][/caption]
[caption caption="A protester carrying a placard in Kuresoi on 17/07/2018"][/caption]
- Imagewow27 February 2020 - 5:56 pm
- Imagego home27 February 2020 - 6:23 pm
- ImageLoan Rangers27 February 2020 - 5:27 pm
- ImageBold Determination27 February 2020 - 4:58 pm
- ImageBizarre27 February 2020 - 4:48 pm
- ImageMemories27 February 2020 - 4:06 pm
- ImageDress Down27 February 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Imageconsequences27 February 2020 - 3:44 pm
- ImagePart Ways27 February 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Imagelisten up27 February 2020 - 2:33 pm
- ImageCorridors of Justice27 February 2020 - 2:05 pm
- Imagepublic notice27 February 2020 - 4:23 pm