The government has officially initiated the inquiry questioning Cameroon authorities over the death of Father Cosmas Ondari at Mfame Parish in Cameroon.
Kenyan authorities through the ministry of foreign affairs in a statement further advised citizens to remain vigilant in areas where security is not entirely guaranteed.
"The government of Kenya has through the High Commission in Abuja, Nigeria, has urgently and formally inquired from the government of the Republic of Cameroon about the circumstances leading to the death of Father Ondari." the ministry announced in a statement on Saturday.
Foreign Affairs PS Macharia Kamau in the announcement affirmed the government's commitment to safeguarding Kenyan citizens and members of the church.
Macharia indicated that the ministry was relentlessly seeking answers from the Cameroon government following the shooting of the Catholic priest.
Cameroon authorities have on their part distanced their military from the priest's shooting.
The state's Information Minister, Issa Bakary, in an interview with BBC Radio on Friday, held that the military was not responsible for Ondari's death.
"The military respects the church and civilians. That's the work of rebels. We shall do investigations and follow them to their hiding. The military is clean on this one," the Minister claimed.
At least 21 bullet holes could be counted on the Kembong church, according to Bishop Andrew Nkea who visited the scene a few hours after the priest was killed.
At the time of the shooting, Father Ondari was with was with catechists and a few church followers doing cleaning.dead death killed
- New directive16 September 2021 - 7:48 pm
- Freedom16 September 2021 - 8:01 pm
- Scammed16 September 2021 - 7:38 pm
- Fury16 September 2021 - 7:29 pm
- Clapback16 September 2021 - 7:29 pm
- OPPORTUNITY16 September 2021 - 6:26 pm
- Central Role16 September 2021 - 6:25 pm
- unfortunate16 September 2021 - 5:41 pm
- Kind-Hearted16 September 2021 - 5:27 pm
- Remarkable16 September 2021 - 5:51 pm
- Disrupted16 September 2021 - 4:38 pm
- long arm of law16 September 2021 - 4:45 pm