Police confirmed the arrest of one of three top suspects in the abduction of Italian aid worker Silvia Romano in Kilifi County.
Ibrahim Adan Omar, who had a Ksh1 million bounty on his head, was arrested in Bangali Town, Tana River at around 7 PM on Monday.
Coast Regional Administration Police Commander James Akoru further stated that Omar was cooperating with authorities as they search for Romano and the remaining suspects.
Akoru, however, failed to divulge more details on the operation other than asserting that Omar was in police custody.
"It’s true we have arrested one suspect, but I may not disclose other details since it could jeopardize the investigations," he stated.
Reports indicate that an AK47 rifle, bullets and two magazines were also recovered.
The operation was initiated on November 20 when Romano was abducted in her rental home in Chakama, Kilifi.
Romano was in Chakama working as the manager of Africa Milele Onlus, a non-governmental organization involved in the local community.
Security officers have been traversing Kilifi and Tana River county in the rescue mission, having made several arrests so far.
The wife of one of the three main suspects and a Tana River nominated MCA were among three people who appeared in court last week but were not charged.
Police sought more time to complete investigations.
- not yet uhuru6 June 2020 - 6:02 pm
- get ready6 June 2020 - 5:20 pm
- full speech6 June 2020 - 4:13 pm
- Gradual6 June 2020 - 4:15 pm
- Not yet over6 June 2020 - 3:47 pm
- free to move6 June 2020 - 3:37 pm
- Anxious6 June 2020 - 2:40 pm
- smart leader6 June 2020 - 2:56 pm
- unfortunate6 June 2020 - 2:30 pm
- Soaring6 June 2020 - 3:28 pm
- honour6 June 2020 - 2:10 pm
- Insider6 June 2020 - 1:55 pm