A police officer is feared dead and three others are nursing serious injuries following an ambush by bandit during a livestock recovery mission.
The incident happened in Marti area, a few Kilometers from Baragoi town, Samburu county.
This is not the first time police officers have lost their lives to armed bandits in Baragoi.
In 2012, cattle rustlers killed 42 police officers in a similar ambush in the same area.
The tragic 2012 attack was reported to be the worst attack of its kind on the police since independence.
Witnesses and survivors of the 2012 attack reported that the officers were aboard a police truck pursuing hundreds of cattle that had been rustled from herders in the area when the incident happened.
The attackers who were using sophisticated equipment opened fire at the police truck from the nearby thicket in which they were hiding.
Attempts by the state to foster peace and reconciliation have not been fruitful if similar attacks in the area since the one in 2012 is anything to go by.
The recent string of attacks on policemen in the area has elicited sharp reactions among angry citizens who reiterated that the state has in many occasions neglected police officers based in such remote places.
Similar attacks on police officers have been reported in Kapedo and River Tana.
- Imagegreenlight10 April 2020 - 9:11 am
- ImagePandemic10 April 2020 - 8:37 am
- Imageangry10 April 2020 - 8:34 am
- Imagesuffering abroad10 April 2020 - 7:13 am
- Imagedo's and donts9 April 2020 - 7:55 pm
- Imageabort mission9 April 2020 - 7:05 pm
- Imagekind9 April 2020 - 6:40 pm
- Imagebedlam9 April 2020 - 6:31 pm
- ImageBeware9 April 2020 - 7:11 pm
- ImageGolden Heart9 April 2020 - 6:49 pm
- Imageswift9 April 2020 - 6:03 pm
- Imageemergency9 April 2020 - 5:57 pm