Social humanoid robot Sophia was a huge attraction at the 2019 Transform Africa Summit in Kigali, Rwanda where she showed off her language skills.
Donning Rwanda's traditional attire - umushanana, Sophia joked and interacted with a full auditorium during the opening ceremony of the continental summit.
"I'm in the great city of Kigali, Rwanda which is in East Africa," she began.
When the moderator asked her, "How did you get here?" Sophia responded, "I flew here inside a suitcase. But I have to talk to my team about getting a window seat next time."
Her comment elicited some laughter from the audience.
Sophia, who is fluent in English and speaks some Mandarin, got a chance to showcase her knowledge of other languages including Swahili.
She greeted in different languages, "French (Bonjour), in Arabic As-salamu alaykum, in Kiswahili Habari zenu."
Sophia was developed by Hong Kong-based company Hanson Robotics and was activated on February 14, 2016, and made its first public appearance at South by Southwest Festival (SXSW) in mid-March 2016 in Austin, Texas, United States.
It is able to display more than 50 facial expressions.
Sophia has been covered by the media around the globe and has participated in many high-profile interviews.
In October 2017, Sophia became the first robot to receive citizenship of any country.
Here is the video of Sophia's remarks during the summit:
- Heartwarming8 August 2020 - 9:14 am
- Poked Holes8 August 2020 - 8:19 am
- nabbed8 August 2020 - 7:37 am
- Long Wait8 August 2020 - 7:16 am
- new boss in town7 August 2020 - 8:07 pm
- no way7 August 2020 - 6:18 pm
- glued to the screen7 August 2020 - 4:57 pm
- double tragedy7 August 2020 - 4:33 pm
- big strides7 August 2020 - 4:14 pm
- bold7 August 2020 - 5:35 pm
- revolutionary7 August 2020 - 3:31 pm
- World's First7 August 2020 - 3:40 pm