Social humanoid robot Sophia was a huge attraction at the 2019 Transform Africa Summit in Kigali, Rwanda where she showed off her language skills.
Donning Rwanda's traditional attire - umushanana, Sophia joked and interacted with a full auditorium during the opening ceremony of the continental summit.
"I'm in the great city of Kigali, Rwanda which is in East Africa," she began.
When the moderator asked her, "How did you get here?" Sophia responded, "I flew here inside a suitcase. But I have to talk to my team about getting a window seat next time."
Her comment elicited some laughter from the audience.
Sophia, who is fluent in English and speaks some Mandarin, got a chance to showcase her knowledge of other languages including Swahili.
She greeted in different languages, "French (Bonjour), in Arabic As-salamu alaykum, in Kiswahili Habari zenu."
Sophia was developed by Hong Kong-based company Hanson Robotics and was activated on February 14, 2016, and made its first public appearance at South by Southwest Festival (SXSW) in mid-March 2016 in Austin, Texas, United States.
It is able to display more than 50 facial expressions.
Sophia has been covered by the media around the globe and has participated in many high-profile interviews.
In October 2017, Sophia became the first robot to receive citizenship of any country.
Here is the video of Sophia's remarks during the summit:
- ImageLoan Rangers27 February 2020 - 5:27 pm
- ImageBold Determination27 February 2020 - 4:58 pm
- ImageBizarre27 February 2020 - 4:48 pm
- ImageMemories27 February 2020 - 4:06 pm
- ImageDress Down27 February 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Imageconsequences27 February 2020 - 3:44 pm
- ImagePart Ways27 February 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Imagelisten up27 February 2020 - 2:33 pm
- ImageCorridors of Justice27 February 2020 - 2:05 pm
- Imagepublic notice27 February 2020 - 4:23 pm
- Imageopportunity27 February 2020 - 2:58 pm
- ImageBy the Bullet27 February 2020 - 1:43 pm