Four Primary Schools in Solai, Nakuru were forced to close down on Monday after a herd of 26 elephants invaded local farms in search of food.
Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) said the animals had traveled from Muchongoi in Baringo County on Sunday in search of salt on the shores of Lake Solai, The Nation reports.
The elephants scared pupils from Tuiyamoi, Kipnyung’unyi, Ruiyobei, and Ng’eptatich primary schools who stayed away in fear of attacks.
The animals passed through farms in Ruiyobei Village in Rongai, Nakuru killing one donkey and destroying crops.
Residents say that the animals pass through the area every year in search of salt but lately their route has been blocked by emerging farms.
KWS officers managed to chase the animals away.
- Insecurity5 March 2021 - 10:11 am
- reward5 March 2021 - 10:23 am
- Sad Times5 March 2021 - 10:03 am
- breaks silence5 March 2021 - 9:24 am
- take notice5 March 2021 - 9:19 am
- Warned5 March 2021 - 8:49 am
- My time5 March 2021 - 7:55 am
- Awarded5 March 2021 - 8:12 am
- Trounced5 March 2021 - 7:01 am
- On the Spot4 March 2021 - 8:29 pm
- gear up4 March 2021 - 8:04 pm
- Benchmarking4 March 2021 - 7:35 pm