Deputy President William Ruto, on Friday, narrated how he failed to help lawyer Karanja Kabage at a time when he needed to navigate the political landscape.
Speaking during the lawyer's burial that was held in Rongai, Nakuru County, Ruto stated that he unintentionally failed to help him in his political career in 2007.
"Today, I regret not helping him be a good politician the way he helped me be a successful businessman.
"I only remember telling him that politics has a lot of issues, most of which are alignment mistakes politicians often make. I also told him that politics has a lot of power brokers,” Ruto told the mourners.
The deputy president, who disclosed that he met Kabage 20 years ago, eulogized him as "a man of integrity".
He added that he had met the lawyer at the Late Bob Collymore's memorial service, last Thursday, which took place at the All Saints Cathedral in Nairobi.
“I remember the president stretched his hand to greet Kabage, I too did. Little did we know that one week later, we would be laying Kabage to rest,” Ruto divulged.
The funeral was also attended by President Uhuru Kenyatta, Opposition leader Raila Odinga, Nakuru Governor, Lee Kinyanjui, among other leaders.
The late Kabage was involved in a road crash on July 12, 2019, along the Southern Bypass in Nairobi, after he suffered a heart attack.
An autopsy conducted in the presence of the police and his family at the Lee Funeral home confirmed that the lawyer died of cardiac arrest.
- not yet uhuru6 June 2020 - 6:02 pm
- get ready6 June 2020 - 5:20 pm
- full speech6 June 2020 - 4:13 pm
- Gradual6 June 2020 - 4:15 pm
- Not yet over6 June 2020 - 3:47 pm
- free to move6 June 2020 - 3:37 pm
- Anxious6 June 2020 - 2:40 pm
- smart leader6 June 2020 - 2:56 pm
- unfortunate6 June 2020 - 2:30 pm
- Soaring6 June 2020 - 3:28 pm
- honour6 June 2020 - 2:10 pm
- Insider6 June 2020 - 1:55 pm