Kuria took to his Facebook page to decry how residents of Elburgon Molo constituency were suffering due to the ban on commercial cutting of trees.
“I call upon those licensed to harvest trees in Elburgon to resume their operations until we discuss with the government a humane way of quitting your forest destruction activities,” Kuria rallied.
He had earlier on stated that the residents had reached out to various leaders to help solve the standoff.
However, Kuria stated that he had tried to make them understand the outcome of tree cutting activities.
“The residents have been crying out to us as leaders to come to their rescue but we have pleaded to them to understand as environmental concerns are of utmost importance especially looking at the dire water situation in this country,” the Jubilee MP stated.
Kuria further took a jibe at Baringo Senator, Gideon Moi, over plans to evict residents in Mau Forest as the erstwhile vibrant town of Elburgon in Molo constituency was a ghost town due to the ban.
“Yet yesterday (Sunday), Kalenjin leaders led by Gideon Moi met at Kabarak and announced that they will open talks with the government to ensure that 60,000 people who were illegally admitted into the forest by Gideon's father are evicted in a humane manner,” Kuria slammed.
The government has temporarily banned with immediate effect logging and timber harvesting in public forests.
DP Ruto on Saturday, February 24, 2018, directed the Ministry of Environment, all environment agencies and the relevant county departments to ensure the ban is enforced.
He further directed Environment and Forestry Cabinet Secretary, Keriako Tobiko, to constitute a task force and prepare a report within 14 days on the forest sector, and propose appropriate remedial measures to check the destruction of the environment and natural resources.
- ImageBold Determination27 February 2020 - 4:58 pm
- ImageBizarre27 February 2020 - 4:48 pm
- ImageMemories27 February 2020 - 4:06 pm
- ImageDress Down27 February 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Imageconsequences27 February 2020 - 3:44 pm
- ImagePart Ways27 February 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Imagelisten up27 February 2020 - 2:33 pm
- ImageCorridors of Justice27 February 2020 - 2:05 pm
- Imagepublic notice27 February 2020 - 4:23 pm
- Imageopportunity27 February 2020 - 2:58 pm
- ImageBy the Bullet27 February 2020 - 1:43 pm
- Imagebig brother27 February 2020 - 1:46 pm