Billionaire Businessman Humphrey Kariuki was on Monday re-arrested by flying squad officers after being freed earlier on Ksh20 million bond and a surety of a similar amount and a Ksh10 million cash bail.
He was charged with tax evasion charges to which he pleaded not guilty.
Kariuki, presented himself in court earlier in the day Milimani Law Courts roughly two weeks after the Directorate of Criminal Investigations launched a manhunt.
According to a report by Citizen TV, Kariuki appeared at the court's premises and charged alongside other businessmen including Stuart Gerard and Simon Maundu.
On August 9, a magistrate's court had summoned the billionaire in relation to the crime that he reportedly committed between 2014 and 2019.
His failure to appear at the court then resulted in a search warrant launch by multi-agency security last week which reportedly traced Kariuki to London.
In his defence, the tycoon, through his lawyer, Kioko Kilukumi, pleaded not guilty to the charges and argued that he had not gone into hiding.
Kilukumi further stated that his client had jetted back into the country on Sunday evening awaiting the court appearance on Monday.
“There was no warrant of arrest either local or international issued against him.
“It is his constitutional right to be granted bail. We ask you to grant our plea on reasonable bail terms," Kilukumi told the court.
- Ill-Fated5 July 2020 - 1:01 pm
- busted5 July 2020 - 12:40 pm
- A-Team5 July 2020 - 12:24 pm
- Tragic5 July 2020 - 12:14 pm
- Outsmarted5 July 2020 - 12:10 pm
- latest5 July 2020 - 11:57 am
- Hit Back5 July 2020 - 11:18 am
- gifted5 July 2020 - 10:20 am
- Baptism By Fire5 July 2020 - 10:29 am
- Lucrative5 July 2020 - 9:20 am
- desperate5 July 2020 - 9:06 am
- Overlooked5 July 2020 - 8:59 am