Former US Vice President, Joe Biden, was set to visit the then President, Mwai Kibaki, at State House, Nairobi in 2010, but drama ensued at the gate after the arrival of US Secret Service personnel.
Kenya’s presidential guards were baffled with two US agents who attempted to enter State House armed, contrary to standard security practice.
The Secret Service agents had showed up with members of the international press team, who had accompanied Biden, and on being frisked, they were found in possession of fire arms.
They were then ordered to deposit their firearms with State House guards who assured them the guns would be returned to them upon leaving.
The Secret Service agents were said to have argued that their job was to protect the US Vice President and declined to surrender their arms.
The local presidential guards told their US counterparts that their work was to protect the President of Kenya and therefore, anybody who entered State House was safe and under their protection.
A brief standoff ensued but Kenya's presidential guards stood their ground and disarmed the two.
However, following consultations with top security officials, the two US agents, one of them of Chinese descent, were given back their guns and they continued with their work.
Later, Biden arrived in a convoy of seven cars, two of them armoured.
The two four-wheel vehicles which seemed to have marvelled the Kenyan team, including President Kibaki, were all inscribed with the insignia of the Vice-President of the United States on both sides of the rear doors.
- Imagewow27 February 2020 - 5:56 pm
- Imagego home27 February 2020 - 6:23 pm
- ImageLoan Rangers27 February 2020 - 5:27 pm
- ImageBold Determination27 February 2020 - 4:58 pm
- ImageBizarre27 February 2020 - 4:48 pm
- ImageMemories27 February 2020 - 4:06 pm
- ImageDress Down27 February 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Imageconsequences27 February 2020 - 3:44 pm
- ImagePart Ways27 February 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Imagelisten up27 February 2020 - 2:33 pm
- ImageCorridors of Justice27 February 2020 - 2:05 pm
- Imagepublic notice27 February 2020 - 4:23 pm