A Citizen TV journalist who covered Kiharu MP Ndindi Nyoro's arrest live on TV has broken his silence on stress he suffered shortly after the report aired on Monday, September, 9.
The reporter, Victor Kinuthia, who is attached to sister station Inooro TV, was trolled by a section of Twitter and Facebook users who thought that his work was hilariously sub-par.
Taking to social media, Kinuthia disclosed that the deliberately offensive comments on his skills severely hurt his confidence that, at the time, he was on the verge of giving up his career entirely.
He was, however, encouraged by his bosses and his colleagues to ignore the trolls.
"I almost gave up when I found myself trending all over after yesterday's 9 p.m. news. But after receiving calls and texts from my bosses, colleagues, friends and fans I must say am encouraged," the reporter posted on Facebook.
He also mentioned that, as a result of the encouragement, he is set to appear on Citizen TV's Sema na Citizen programme which is usually broadcast live from various locations.
Some news anchors from the Kilimani-based station shared their uplifting messages to the reporter publicly.
Yvonne Okwara explained that “it was his first time. He will get better with time. We all start somewhere. We will train him.”
“You won't be laughing in a few years! Let's cut him some slack. We believe in him. He will go places. We will walk with him,” she added.
"I spoke to him last night and encouraged him... he is fine and optimistic... he is actually really good in reporting in Kikuyu and Swahili na Kizungu pia atajifunza (and he will also learn English). He has a great attitude and is a joy to work with," expressed Jamila Mohammed.
“It happens to the best of us. This job isn’t easy but the beauty about this experience is Victor will learn and get better with time. Mistakes are a human condition,” posted Victoria Rubadiri.
Here is a video of his report:
- Imagetroops24 February 2020 - 5:23 pm
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- ImageKenyans Asks24 February 2020 - 5:51 pm
- Imageballers24 February 2020 - 5:42 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm
- ImageUnsettling24 February 2020 - 12:48 pm