Jubilee party's candidate for the upcoming mini-poll, McDonald Mariga, had his bid nullified at the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) offices on Tuesday, September 10, 2019.
According to reports by NTV, his name was missing from voters register, which consequently implied that he did not meet the minimum requirements to vie for the Kibra parliamentary seat.
The legendary footballer had rushed to beat the IEBC deadline to present his nomination certificate but was deemed unqualified, as the election body claimed that he was not a registered voter.
An IEBC returning officer identified as Beatrice announced that she could not arbitrate on the matter, despite concerted efforts by former Senator Boni Khalwale and Langata MP Nixon Korir to mediate on the matter.
Speaking on Citizen TV following his invalidation, the Jubilee candidate maintained that they had argued their case and would, therefore, wait for a final verdict on the matter in the coming week.
Personal registration as a voter is a pre-requisite for one to contest in the polls, as per the law of the land.
There were also claims that Mariga was only registered less than three weeks ago and that his name was not yet among the gazetted Kibra voters according to the IEBC registry.
Morris Peter Kinyanjui, who was among the 16 aspirants interviewed by Jubilee’s National Elections Board (NEB) made the startling allegations in the article published by the Daily Nation on September 3, 2019.
Here's a video of the announcement regarding Mariga's candidacy for the Kibra mini-poll:
- tough hardle26 September 2020 - 8:44 am
- His Take26 September 2020 - 8:33 am
- Power play26 September 2020 - 7:36 am
- declined26 September 2020 - 7:23 am
- double standards25 September 2020 - 7:58 pm
- Winning Mentality26 September 2020 - 9:17 am
- unfortunate25 September 2020 - 7:30 pm
- please consider25 September 2020 - 7:03 pm
- heckled25 September 2020 - 6:31 pm
- Terrified25 September 2020 - 6:14 pm
- sad!25 September 2020 - 4:48 pm
- Chaos25 September 2020 - 4:35 pm