Veteran musician Laban Juma Toto, who is popularly known for his song 'FC Gor Mahia' has died.
It is alleged that the 70-year-old musician died on Tuesday, September 10, at the Kenyatta National Hospital.
Reports by the Daily Nation indicated that the musician, who was also the chairman of the Kenya Musicians Union (Kemu) died of suspected brain haemorrhage.
“He died of a suspected brain haemorrhage after he accidentally fell and injured his head last week,” John Katana, a bandleader of the Mushrooms Band told the publication.
The late Toto, who was also a bandleader, composer and guitarist was popular in the 1960s into the 1980s, excelling in performances of popular dance beats at various entertainment joints.
He also performed at the Panafric and The Stanley hotels in Nairobi.
“Many of us who grew up in Nairobi in the late 1960s and 1970s will recall those days that were dominated by top groups such as Hodi Boys,” Mbewa Opiyo, a retired hotelier stated.
On his Facebook page, former Prime Minister, Raila Odinga, mourned the rhumba singer as a gifted and prolific musician.
"The death of legendary rhumba singer Juma Toto has robbed the country, Africa and the music industry of one of its most gifted and prolific musicians. Juma Toto’s track record leaves no doubt that he was a creative icon. Few artists are talented enough to live so long through their sounds and electrifying live performances.
Juma’s music was distinct and he touched millions who will forever hold him dear. I join Juma’s fans from around the country and Africa in mourning his sudden death. May God grant peace and strength to his family at this moment of grief," he wrote.
- Imagetroops24 February 2020 - 5:23 pm
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- ImageKenyans Asks24 February 2020 - 5:51 pm
- Imageballers24 February 2020 - 5:42 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm
- ImageUnsettling24 February 2020 - 12:48 pm