Kipchoge, who is an icon in his own right, will aim to prove that humans are not limited by being the first man to run under two hours in the INEOS 1:59 Challenge.
The world marathon record holder recognition in athletics began in 2003, when he won a gold medal at the 5,000 metres final at the World Championships.
In what was a spirited fight, Kipchoge, who was 18 at that time, outsprinted both future world record holder Ethiopian, Kenenisa Bekele and runner-up Moroccan, Hicham El Guerrouj (the world record holder in the 1500 metres).
His victory in the race was unexpected as he was the underdog and was battling the pre-race favourites - the two champions.
Coming into the final lap, Kipchoge latched onto the shoulder of the long-striding Morrocan who accelerated as he held the lead.
El Guerrouj appeared strong and managed to put some metres between himself and the chasing pack. However, with 150 metres to go, Kipchoge went a gear up and made a move for the lead.
Down the homestretch, Kipchoge and El Guerrouj were shoulder-to-shoulder as each pressed on to clinch the victory. Bekele fell behind the two.
Metres to the line, the Morrocan seemed to be tiring up as Kipchoge powered to win the title by four-hundredths of a second (12:52.79 vs. 12:52.83).
Kipchoge went on to win more medals in global championships. In 2016, he won the gold medal in the Olympics Marathon event.
Kipchoge later moved to road events and has won 12 of the 13 marathons he has entered, his only loss being a second-place behind Wilson Kipsang Kiprotich at the 2013 Berlin Marathon, where Kipsang broke the world record.
On Sunday, October 13, Kipchoge is scheduled to make another attempt at a sub-two-hour marathon on a special course in Vienna.
Here is the video:
- Imagewhy always us24 February 2020 - 6:47 pm
- Imagetroops24 February 2020 - 5:23 pm
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- ImageKenyans Asks24 February 2020 - 5:51 pm
- Imageballers24 February 2020 - 5:42 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm