The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) on Tuesday, October 8, arrested seven suspects in a SIM swap fraud case.
The seven, famously known as the Mulot Team, were nabbed with over 200 SIM cards at their home in Kabete, Kiambu County.
DCI disclosed that the suspects namely: Victor Rono, Mercy Chepkirui, Nicholas Kipkirui, Wesley Kiprono, Robert Kibet, Faith Chepkorir and Felix Tanui were also found with numerous mobile phones.
The detectives discovered several agent numbers that were being used to swindle unsuspecting Kenyans off of their money.
According to DCI, the suspects were using M-PESA and M-SHWARI to lure Kenyans into sending money through Reversal claims and con SMSs.
Further investigations into the matter would be conducted by the detectives as the suspects remained in custody.
This came two days after the DCI also busted a group of suspects with 40,000 SIM cards in what was ina similar SIM swap fraud and identity theft case.
On Monday, October 7, THE DCI successfully rounded up the identity-theft crooks holed up at some apartment in Juja town identified as Jeremy Apartments.
"Intelligence leads led the detectives to the 5th Floor of Jeremy Apartments, Hse No. 36 where four suspects; Joseph Kuria, Joyce Kagure, George Maina & Evans Getabu were arrested," DCI stated.
After a brief interrogation session, the four reportedly gave away a fifth accomplice, and the detectives sent a few units to apprehend the culprit.
- Nabbed1 October 2020 - 6:38 pm
- RIP1 October 2020 - 6:20 pm
- mass recruitment1 October 2020 - 6:20 pm
- Chaos1 October 2020 - 6:00 pm
- command the road1 October 2020 - 5:46 pm
- out of the box1 October 2020 - 4:42 pm
- latest report1 October 2020 - 3:30 pm
- raid1 October 2020 - 3:50 pm
- Outcry1 October 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Power play1 October 2020 - 2:22 pm
- facts1 October 2020 - 2:22 pm
- Listen Up1 October 2020 - 1:57 pm