Former Prime Minister Raila Odinga's party, Orange Democratic Movement (ODM), on Sunday, October 13, addressed claims that it had fired its minority leader over Nairobi Chaos.
A letter that circulated online claimed that Nairobi County Minority Leader Elias Otieno Okumu was suspended following the chaos that erupted at City Hall shortly after Speaker Beatrice Elachi resumed office.
The statement detailed that Mr Okumu was among the lawmakers who showed open defiance to the speaker and for that, he was relieved of his duties.
"It has come to our attention that Hon. Elias Otieno is and will continue to be the impediment in implementing the party decisions thereby perpetuating impasse in the assembly causing serious ripple effects.
"By receipt of this letter, Hon. Elias Otieno Okumu is suspended as leader of minority party pending investigations and determinations of this and other allegations," read the letter in part.
Taking to social media, ODM Director of Communications Philip Etale, however, rubbished the letter as fake urging Kenyans to ignore it.
On Wednesday, October 9, drama ensued at City Hall as MCAs stuck to their guns insisting that embattled Elachi should vacate from office.
The embattled speaker had earlier on made a forceful come back to the office, reclaiming her seat with a special message to Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko.
Elachi locked herself in the office, leaving the group of MCAs outside where they clashed with those supporting her return.
Dozens of anti-riot police officers were also deployed outside City Hall, where teargas was lobbed to disperse the rival groups.
- Imagetroops24 February 2020 - 5:23 pm
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- ImageKenyans Asks24 February 2020 - 5:51 pm
- Imageballers24 February 2020 - 5:42 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm
- ImageUnsettling24 February 2020 - 12:48 pm