Olympic champion Eliud Kipchoge caused a lot of speculation after jetting into Mombasa on Saturday, October 19.
The 34-year-old athlete, who recently made history after running a marathon in under two hours, was flown from Eldoret by the Kenya Forest Service (KFS).
Through its Twitter page, KFS revealed that they had the honour of flying the celebrated marathoner to the Coastal city, adding that he often trains at Kaptagat Forest.
While it was not immediately clear why Kipchoge had flown to Mombasa, netizens couldn't help but speculate.
This year's Mashujaa Day celebrations will be held Waterfront Park in Mombasa and during the event, Kenyans who have made great strides in different fields are feted.
As such, social media users were left wondering if he was going to be given a Head of State Commendation (HSC) by President Uhuru Kenyatta.
Shortly after Kipchoge won the INEOS 1:59 challenge, State House Digital Director Dennis Itumbi suggested that he should be given the award.
However, his sentiments did not sit well with many social media users including human rights activist Boniface Mwangi who claimed that any such move would be a mockery to Kipchoge's achievements.
"Giving Eliud Kipchoge that useless award is demeaning his achievements. Those awards have been reserved for socialites, criminals, drug dealers, people who fund presidential campaigns, githeri man and the likes.
Eliud is the greatest and doesn't belong there. Your wish is trash!" Mwangi stated.
- Outsmarted5 July 2020 - 12:10 pm
- latest5 July 2020 - 11:57 am
- Hit Back5 July 2020 - 11:18 am
- gifted5 July 2020 - 10:20 am
- Baptism By Fire5 July 2020 - 10:29 am
- Lucrative5 July 2020 - 9:20 am
- desperate5 July 2020 - 9:06 am
- Overlooked5 July 2020 - 8:59 am
- My Take5 July 2020 - 7:26 am
- last defense5 July 2020 - 7:29 am
- tell-all4 July 2020 - 6:56 pm
- avoidable4 July 2020 - 7:13 pm