President Uhuru Kenyatta on Sunday, October 20 awarded renowned Marathoner Eliud Kipchoge a few seconds to 1:59 pm.
This was a coincidence as he beat the marathoner's INEOS 1:59 challenge that earned him the world title of the first human to run a full marathon under two hours.
Kipchoge was awarded the Order of the Elder of the Golden Heart by the president during the Mashujaa day fete that was held at Mama Ngina Water Front in Mombasa.
"In honour of all the heroes, past, present and future, I wish to invite and to recognise Eliud Kipchoge with the Order of the Elder of the Golden Heart," announced Uhuru amid jubilation.
In a Citizen TV Video, the president invited Kipchoge the podium where he bestowed the award to Kipchoge at 1:58 pm.
The elated Kipchoge majestically walked to the President's side, where he was donned with the prestigious medal by Uhuru himself.
In a joyful embrace, the head of state continually congratulated the world champion as the clock slowly ticked threatening to hit the1:59 pm mark.
The president also praised Kipchoge's effort and inspiration to other Kenyans, urging that no one is limited.
He called on Kenyans to emulate his enviable level of discipline and determination in their pursuit of a better Kenya for all.
"His latest conquest will be a reminder that we can achieve the very best as individuals and collectively as a nation," Uhuru stated.
Brigid Kosgey who Sunday, October 13 smashed a 16-year world record in the Chicago Marathon, women's race was also recognised by the president for making Kenya the global custodian of the women's marathon titles.
- new protocols8 July 2020 - 5:00 pm
- edged out8 July 2020 - 5:21 pm
- home comforts8 July 2020 - 4:11 pm
- Raft of Measures8 July 2020 - 4:08 pm
- spilling beans8 July 2020 - 3:36 pm
- torment8 July 2020 - 2:25 pm
- Presidential Appeal8 July 2020 - 2:34 pm
- showdown8 July 2020 - 2:24 pm
- way out?8 July 2020 - 1:41 pm
- listen...8 July 2020 - 1:35 pm
- easy steps8 July 2020 - 1:29 pm
- Surge8 July 2020 - 1:03 pm