The High Court on Friday, November 8, 2019, stopped Kiambu MCAs from proceeding with the impeachment motion of Youth Affairs and Sports CEC Karungo wa Thang’wa.
Justice Byram Ongaya issued stay orders preventing Karungo's, removal from office, until the case is heard.
The court ruled "that pending inter parties hearing or further orders by the court, there be a stay of proceedings for the removal of the petitioner from the office of the Kiambu County Committee Member for Youth Affairs, Sports, ICT and Communication Department and following from the invitation to appear on October 30," the order read in part.
The judge ordered that the application be certified as urgent, to be served for an inter parties hearing on November 19, at 9am or soon thereafter.
Waititu has also been barred from acting on the motion when it reaches him.
In October, Kiambu MCAs passed a resolution to impeach the CEC with 51 out of 92 supporting the motion. A committee of 5 MCAs was then formed to investigate Karungo.
He appeared before the committee on Monday, November 4, but excused himself from the proceedings after the committee declined to provide him with particulars of his charges.
This comes two days after a leaked audio exposed how legislators conspired to loot public funds.
Earlier in the week, the audio, recorded on October 8, during a special departmental sitting in Mombasa was shared online.
- Covid-1925 May 2020 - 5:20 pm
- tots on air25 May 2020 - 4:50 pm
- latest25 May 2020 - 4:31 pm
- Another One25 May 2020 - 4:26 pm
- the journey25 May 2020 - 3:26 pm
- Protests25 May 2020 - 3:12 pm
- Clarification25 May 2020 - 2:36 pm
- next level25 May 2020 - 1:50 pm
- Extreme Measures25 May 2020 - 1:03 pm
- coming clean25 May 2020 - 12:40 pm
- winning25 May 2020 - 11:48 am
- Head On25 May 2020 - 11:08 am