Journalist Fears For Life After Police Exposé

  • A Standard Journalist based in Makueni on Friday, November 8 claimed that his life is in danger after he wrote an article that implicated the police in the execution of a suspect.

    The story appeared on page 3 of The Standard newspaper headlined, "Police held Suspect for three days before executing him" on Thursday, November 7 and was later published on standard digital  under the title "Questions raised on how a suspect in police cells was shot dead by police in patrol" on the same day.

    Stephen Nzioka, a correspondent with The Standard Media Group further stated that he felt he was being trailed after he bumped into police officers from the region well known to him severally on the same day.

    Stephen Nzioka, a correspondent with The Standard Media Group based in Makueni County

    He revealed that he met two police officers near his residence in plain clothes, who stopped and greeted him. 

    “One of them had a pistol tucked on his waist. As they walked a few steps, I turned back and saw one of them pointing at me. I am now in great fear,” Nzioka added.

    The Journalist added his discomfort in reporting the incidents to any police station within Makueni over concerns that he may not get fair and transparent attention.

    “It would be an exercise in futility to report the matter to the same people whom I am complaining about,” he alleged. 

    In his expose' Nzioka revealed how police officers under the directive of Wote Police Station OCS allegedly shot dead a suspect, Ngoma Kaleli.

    He further claimed that his sources that sought anonymity had told him that the police who arrested Kaleli were in plain cloth and later executed him in secrecy.

    The incident has attracted the curiosity of the Independent Police Oversight Authority (IPOA) which has dispatched detectives to Wote to unearth what transpired.

    Mutunga Kaleli (in cap) and Mbithi Kaleli, brothers to murdered Ngoma Kaleli in this photo show injuries allegedly inflicted on them by police officers when they invaded their home January 17, 2019.