Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko is famous for wearing chunky gold jewellery, flashy attire and living an expensive life. Sonko, a businessman too, has never shied off from bragging over his wealth, despite being generous enough to assist the less fortunate in the society.
However, his arrest on Friday, December 6, was dramatic and chaotic as reports emerged that he was assaulted by police officers. His torn t-shirt later caught Kenyans' attention and had them talking over the price of his t-shirt.
On Tuesday, December 10, pictures of what appeared to be a replica of Sonko's torn t-shirt, made rounds on social media as netizens were astounded by its online listing price of $531.00 (Ksh 53,900).
"Kumbe (Didn't know) this Mtumba-like tee is a Versace," one netizen mocked.
According to KRIX, an online shopping platform, the T-shirt is a tropical logo print design with a cotton crew neck designed by Italian luxury fashion company, Versace.
However, the debate would veer off was to whether the T-shirt was unisex or designed for women.
More screengrabs from the website revealed that the listing on that particular website was designed for women.
"Ksh53K can buy my entire wardrobe for ten years straight. Na polis amerarua tisat ya pesa ivo? (Yet the police have torn such an expensive t-shirt?)," Monty tweeted.
- new frontier5 August 2020 - 3:46 pm
- Genius5 August 2020 - 3:42 pm
- family matters5 August 2020 - 3:31 pm
- Surge5 August 2020 - 3:16 pm
- adapting5 August 2020 - 2:41 pm
- fiery5 August 2020 - 2:54 pm
- time to upgrade5 August 2020 - 1:57 pm
- for life5 August 2020 - 1:37 pm
- Fruitless5 August 2020 - 12:57 pm
- Magnificent5 August 2020 - 12:41 pm
- striking gold5 August 2020 - 12:26 pm
- laudable5 August 2020 - 12:34 pm